axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Martin Jericho" <marti...@radiocity.com.au>
Subject Re: sending large files
Date Thu, 26 Sep 2002 22:21:12 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "James Black" <jblack@ieee.org>
To: <axis-user@xml.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, September 27, 2002 7:28 AM
Subject: Re: sending large files

> "Jung, Eric (Contractor)" wrote:
>
> > Have you turned off debugging output? With a stdout appender, things are
> > extremely slow for me with message sizes no where approaching 800K.
>
>   Turned it off where?

org.apache.log4j.Category.getDefaultHierarchy().disableDebug();

>   I am installing Tomcat 4.1.12 at the moment,but would like to know how
> turn off any debugging also.

Regarding the performance problem, you should indeed half the time required
by turning off debugging, but the real problem is worse than that.  I posted
a message to this mailing list a couple of days ago (Subject: Performance
problems with RPC messages over 20k), where I did some benchmarks based on
message size.  It looks like the time required to process the message
increases at a geometric rate relative to the message size.

As yet no-one else seems to be interested in this problem, so the best thing
I can suggest is to break your string up into 20K chunks.

Please let me know whether you find out anything more about it.

Martin Jericho