axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: Auto-Start an Axis WEB Service (ie: daemon)
Date Thu, 05 Sep 2002 04:27:03 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jung, Eric (Contractor)" <ejung@russellmellon.com>
To: <axis-user@xml.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 15:53
Subject: RE: Auto-Start an Axis WEB Service (ie: daemon)

> Good article.
>
> If you're going to spawn a thread in init() as suggested by the article,
> what are you going to do in the new thread? You still need to call your
> service from the new thread so it kickstarts. If that's the case, why not
> use Latka or HttpUnit programmatically to do so? I suppose you could use
> HttpUrlConnection, but Steve has already pointed out how terrible that
class
> is. FYI, there's also Jakarta's HttpClient
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient which you could use from that
> thread.

my deploy process does <get> in an ant build file to hit the server and
verify that the build timestamp matches that I just uploaded. That test
passed, we turn to httpunit to first validate the config (happyaxis.jsp),
then do real work.

I dont like spawning threads in a web server as unless you remember to kill
them during unload they persist, maybe even through a reload of the webapp.