axis-java-user mailing list archives

From Tom Jordahl <t...@macromedia.com>
Subject RE: Questions
Date Thu, 08 Aug 2002 16:49:04 GMT

They would let you work on an project if they used the result in their products.

For instance, JRun 4 and ColdFusion MX (and Dreamweaver MX) all user Apache Axis in their
current released versions (Beta 1+ if you're interested).

Axis is strategic for Macromedia, thus they pay me to work on it.

--
Tom Jordahl
Macromedia Server Development

-----Original Message-----
From: Ulrich Winter [mailto:ulrich.winter@gmx.de]
Sent: Thursday, August 08, 2002 12:44 PM
To: axis-user@xml.apache.org
Subject: Re: Questions

"Steve Loughran" <steve_l@iseran.com> wrote:
> Also axis does have full time staff working on it, which is fascinating to
> watch (the other apache project I work on, Ant, is just people fixing
build
> problems against their own deadlines, so is much less structured)

Could somebody please describe, what the project environment for
an employee working on an open source project is?
Is there any manager who tells you, in what direction to go?

What benefit does a company see, in order to spend money on an open source
project?

I'm very interested in this, because I think, none of the companies I worked
for would allow me to spend most of my time on an apache project. I'm
wondering
how this works.

Bye,
Uli