axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: How to initialize deployed services?
Date Fri, 16 Aug 2002 18:23:23 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Colin Sampaleanu" <colinml1@exis.com>
To: <axis-user@xml.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, August 16, 2002 10:31 AM
Subject: Re: How to initialize deployed services?

> Thanks. I've now gone back in the archives and found that thread, called
> "Configuring a web service...", which was of some help. Too bad there
> isn't a way to deploy live objects. That approach really fits some
> scenarios a lot better.

yeah, it would be nice. .NET remoting lets you do this, which is why it is
my favourite of the two .NET stacks (the other reason is that it doesnt need
IIS, which must be a good thing).

Looks like a coding opportunity to me.

> Along with the servletContext, I guess the other way you could get to
> live objects is via JNDI and singletons...
>
> It would be nice if a minimal addition was implemented, where the .wsdd
> file could specify parameters to the service. Steven suggested having
> the service read in a config file with a name based on the hostname, but
> this is not necessarily a dependency I want to have. Being able to pass
> in some param to that instance of the service to identify it would help
> in a big way...

my hostname based process worked in the 'when web services go bad' example
as we had about 30 systems, split into 5 clusters and some dev boxes, but
even then cluster-side it wasnt dynamic enough, to change a property on 4
boxes needed four edits or a reinstall. This is why I like ldap.

there is the ldap boot process: how do you find your server? I am using
multicast IP, a service boots saying 'who is a config server', gets the list
back then goes 'who knows about me, my hostname is "foo"'?; sort of like
DHCP