axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Cohan, Sean" <SCo...@goSPS.com>
Subject RE: Asynchronous Messaging
Date Wed, 17 Jul 2002 20:37:08 GMT
I read your thread. We will be using Java clients.  The intro to the example
in "AXIS Next Generation Java SOAP" book states that JMS allows you to
exchange messages asynchronously, which leads me to believe I can at least
continue processing on the client instead of waiting for a reply.

In the example, after the client transport handler issues the send, it calls
receive.  I'm not sure, but I think if I wanted my client to continue
asynchronously without waiting, I would not call receive and simply return.
Then, I guess, to get the results of the call, I'd have a JMSListener on the
client??  Or could I even instead call an exposed web service on the client
to let it know what happened with it's request??

Not sure if I'm on the mark here so any explanation (tutoring) is
appreciated.

Thanks.

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Vardeman [mailto:andrewv@iastate.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 1:42 PM
To: axis-user@xml.apache.org
Subject: Re: Asynchronous Messaging

I had a similar question a while back, and the answer was "not in Axis
version 1."  If you can live without the "receipt acknowledged"  message,
you could probably write a client that behaves in an asynchronous way.  For
instance, if you're writing a .NET client, asynchronous method calls to
standard web services are built in.  You could write a wrapper class around
a standard Axis RPC client with a "beginCall" method that takes as a
parameter the callback function, and the callback function could retrieve
the result from the wrapper with an "endCall" method.  Put the client in
its own thread so you can make calls to it and go on about your business
until the callback function is called.

Andrew