axis-java-user mailing list archives

From <Geza.Sz...@nokia.com>
Subject Socket problems
Date Tue, 30 Jul 2002 14:16:22 GMT
Hi,

  During a stability test with Axis, nightly build 2002-07-21 and Tomcat 4.0.4.,
we experienced the following problem:
  We had a webservice deployed under Axis, which functioned
both as a SOAP server and a client. Meaning that it was capable of
receiving SOAP requests via HTTP, but also capable of
sending SOAP requests to other webservices, acting as a SOAP client
(using Axis client framework).
In both way our service was attacked with multiple threads, sending
around 30-40 requests/sec in both directions. We ecountered that
after a certain period of time (tipically 4-5 hours) the webserver
was not able to receive any more HTTP requests. However the client-side
was still sending SOAP requests to other servers. Analyzing with netstat
we found that around 2000 sockets have been created by Axis client
framework, which were still active, and this number didn't want to
decrease. It seemed like this client framework was eating up all resources
of the OS (sockets). I also checked to source code of HTTPSender, I see that socket
are not closed there. My question is, what happens to the created sockets ?
Does Axis leave everything to the garbage-collector, or are socket closed
later on by some handler ? When can the socket be closed and by whom ?

           Thanx in advance for your answers, Geza