axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Adam Jack" <aj...@openbiz.biz>
Subject RE: error with Beta 3
Date Sat, 13 Jul 2002 17:36:45 GMT
I found that commons-logging seems to use the ClassLoader for the Logger as
a key into a Hashtable of factories. Unfortunately my environment/usage
returns 'null' for the class loader (which is valid per JDK 1.3
documentation, my environment, to imply 'Boot ClassLoader') and the
Hashtable and common-logging code puke on this.

I posted a message to the commons mailing list, but I've receive no reply.

What I ended up doing was hacking the commons code to check for a null
ClassLoader, and replacing it with ClassLoader.getSystemClassLoader(). I am
insufficiently versed in this stuff to know if System = Boot, and/or if I
have future ClassCast worries to look forward to, but this seem to be
working for me for now.

That said -- just about anything that makes commons-logging unhappy (like
not having a Log4j.properties in the 'right' place) seems to cause a
NullPointerException from commons-logging. It seems that commons-logging
does a poor job of logging anything if it's complex auto-configuration
mechanism fails, a painful flaw.

regards

Adam