axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Ng, Charles" <Charles...@cognos.com>
Subject RE: Best way of returning multi-dimensional data from an Axis web service method?
Date Wed, 19 Jun 2002 20:33:30 GMT
How about making getPage() a RPC call and return an array of arrays of
cells?  This way the data will be SOAP encoded so Web service clients will
have a better chance in de-serializing them.  However, the wire message
might be a bit bloated.

Charles

-----Original Message-----
From: davout [mailto:davout@dsl.pipex.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 19, 2002 4:25 PM
To: axis-user@xml.apache.org
Subject: Best way of returning multi-dimensional data from an Axis web
service method?

I have a situation where a web service methods is supposed to return a page
of data. The page is normally two dimensional in nature, with a variable
number of page rows and a variable number of page columns. Something
like....

    User Name   Age    Salary   Date of birth
    ---------   ----   ------   --------------
     Fred Smith  40     10,000    11/11/90
     Joe Bloggs  36     21,000    09/09/89
     Andy Brown  21     10,000    11/11/90
     Tom Brown   50     10,000    11/11/90

The number of rows and the column mix can vary from call to call, also on
ocassion each 'cell' in this 2 dimensional structure can also have its own
sub properties.

Currently my web service returns this as a XML DOM Element tree, like...

   public Element getPage(int aStartRow,
                          int aMaxEntries,
                          int[] aResultSetPropIDs);

In my Java class code I simply build and return a custom DOM Element tree to
represent this 2 dimensional structure - easy.

But this causes lots of problems for web service clients, as they have to
start messing about with alternate encoding style settings to read back the
XML DOM tree.

Is there a better mainstream approach to retrieving multi dimensional result
sets from java based web service methods?  A solution that doesn't require
any special measures by the client?