axis-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael Connor <mcon...@baan.com>
Subject Tomcat and Axis Performance
Date Wed, 05 Jun 2002 18:31:13 GMT
Hello all,

I'm running Tomcat 4.0 with Axis and the calls I'm making are a little
slower than I would expect.  I ran the same call 1000 times and found the
average performance to be

337 milliseconds per call

I'm running both the client and the server on the same machine and I've even
set the service scope to the following...

<parameter name="scope" value="Application"/>

so that my impl class would only be instantiated a single time.  I am
sending two object parameters to the call which each have four strings that
are a few bytes each.  I am using the standard serializers and
deserializers.  I'm concerned that maybe the performance suffers due to the
serializing of the objects.  Does it make more sense at this point to use
primitives?

337 millis isn't that bad but then again, when I add database code to the
call it'll add 100ms, and when this the client and server are on separate
machine that'll add another 50ms.  Before you know it, I'll be at 500ms
which is really not acceptable considering there is no load on the machine
I'm using.

Any ideas?