axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: version 1.0
Date Sun, 16 Jun 2002 22:15:04 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Venkat Dokiparthi" <venkat.dokiparthi@peregrine.com>
To: <axis-user@xml.apache.org>
Sent: Saturday, June 15, 2002 13:16
Subject: RE: version 1.0

> JAX-RPC v1.0 has been released:
> http://java.sun.com/xml/downloads/javaxmlpack.html

I see

> So do we see Axis 1.0 release soon???

I would expect at least one more beta, maybe more, though I see that the
compliance kit for JAX-RPC is in someone's hands and so helping to flesh out
issues in Axis and the compliance test kit itself.

Remember that 'release' in open source is different from closed source land.
In closed source a release means frozen features, but usually bug fixes, new
features come in the 2.0 version which you have to pay more for and which
appears after some months of silence from the developers (some welcome
exceptions, Intellij let you d/l the weekly builds of IDEA)

Open source projects tend not to support any old versions of the app;
everything, features, fixes, goes into the head of the CVS tree, and the
first response to any 'does not work' bugrep is 'have you tried the latest
build'.

So even when axis 1.0 comes out, dont expect it to be a finished product,
more just a milestone drop that is compatible with JAX-RPC as far as the
tests are concerned, and with a week or two spent killing defects before the
milestone. If you are doing serious axis work, work off the head of the
tree, always. Same for any other OSS tool that matters to you. If its a
component that works ok, like log4j, xerces, whatever, stick with a
release -but use the nightly for the important bits.

-steve