axis-java-user mailing list archives

From thomas.che...@ascentialsoftware.com
Subject RE: Calling a secure Axis web service with .net client
Date Fri, 24 May 2002 13:01:30 GMT
I had similar problem with the .NET client because in by back-end server
(JBoss, web service implemented as an EJB) I enabled a default identity to
be used for unauthenticated user.

To make it short, it seems that the .NET client will not send any
user/password in the HTTP header (Authentication HTTP header) until it
receives a request for authentication. Your server must deny the first
request sent from the .NET client. When doing that, it is supposed, in the
deny response, to send a WWW-Authenticate header to the client, which will
try the request again and that time with the Authentication header (which
will contain user/password).

Use the tcpmon of Axis to see what is going on at the HTTP level. As long as
your server will not send back any WWW-Authenticate header, the .NET client
will not send the Authentication header (or at least that is the behavior I
observed).

Thomas

 -----Original Message-----
From: Vidyanand Murunikkara [mailto:Vidyanand@infravio.com]
Sent: Friday, May 24, 2002 2:42 AM
To: axis-user@xml.apache.org
Subject: RE: Calling a secure Axis web service with .net client

Hi thomas

I was doing exactly what you had suggested in your mail. But then for some
reason the username and password are not being sent as an header. The only
way i could add a header was to override the GetWebRequest() method and then
add any header i wanted to add. But i guess there must be some way to do it
directly without taking such pain.

Do you think I might be missing something here ?

Thanks for your time.
Vidyanand