axis-java-user mailing list archives

From thomas.che...@ascentialsoftware.com
Subject RE: Perhaps there will be a form for invoking the service here...
Date Fri, 10 May 2002 18:47:48 GMT

Any news on this area?
The last answer posted on April 12 was talking about something available
in nightly build in a week or so. I can see the list of the services
using axis-beta2, but no details on the operation parameters. If the
WSIL piece is in Axis beta2, any documentation about it?

Thanks.

Thomas

-----Original Message-----
From: Alan Gordie [ mailto:Alan_Gordie@payformance.com
<mailto:Alan_Gordie@payformance.com> ]
Sent: Friday, April 12, 2002 4:21 PM
To: 'axis-user@xml.apache.org'
Subject: RE: Perhaps there will be a form for invoking the service
here...

Yes, it is just a placeholder for forthcoming functionality.
I've been working on a "Service Manager" GUI for Axis and, as soon as I
can complete some integration work with SimpleAxisServer, it should be
available in a nightly build in the next week or so. It doesn't
currently support invoking the service methods, but it it allows you to
browse through all deployed services and lists the method and parameters
information for each. I'm pasting in my post to axis-dev from last week
into this message for you to look over in hopes that you folks will be
willing to provide some feedback on what you would like to see added in
this area.

Also, I've also jacked in a very basic implementation of WSIL for
obtaining a list of deployed services from Axis via HTTP GET per the IBM
spec located here.

<
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/webservices/library/ws-wsilspec.ht
ml?dwzone=webservices
<http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/webservices/library/ws-wsilspec.h
tml?dwzone=webservices> >
---------------------------------
Here's a copy of my post to axis-dev from last week re: new Service
Manager functionality.
First off, thanks to Glen Daniels for creating the ServiceDesc/Metadata
system that I'm using to accomplish this.
Now, for the current feature list...
* pointing your browser to /axis/servlet/AxisServlet will generate a
list of deployed services that are links to the details for each service

* selecting a service will display all operations for that service (I'm
not using .getAllowedMethods() yet, only .getOperations() this will
change soon)

* selecting an operation will display the parameter list and return type
for the selected operation
And, of course, there are many TODO's..
* decouple the HTML from the logic
* factor this code into a separate class
* add support for generating WSIL (need a "published" attribute at the
ServiceDesc level...also in WSDD)
* add support for deploying/undeploying services
* add support for managing allowedMethods
* display sample SOAP XML for request/response for each operation
* HOLY GRAIL == operation invocation!
* need to move all static strings into the resource table
* user-friendly service description would be nice
* description of each method would also be nice