axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Joe Harrison" <...@hofferflow.com>
Subject RE: Axis beginner
Date Tue, 28 May 2002 18:03:53 GMT
Thank you for the information and quick response!

-----Original Message-----
From: Heitzso [mailto:heitzso@bellsouth.net]
Sent: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 2:00 PM
To: axis-user@xml.apache.org
Subject: Re: Axis beginner

You should spend a half day digging through doc at axis site first.
That said, on your linux system:
	jdk 1.4.0
	tomcat 4.0.3
	axis beta 2 (or whatever current is)
You'll need to modify the tomcat startup script to include
	-Djava.endorsed.dirs=point-to-axis-dir/lib
and you'll need to add the axis.war file or webapps tree to the tomcat
webapps directory.

Sanest thing is to do this one step at a time:

 1) java

  a. get java 1.4.0 from sun, if your linux system is debian unstable
     you'll need to also pick up a lib that's required to run
     sun's 1.4.0
  b. write some simple "hello world" type programs, compile them, run
     them (this introduces you to idea of the compiler, classpaths,
     packages, jvm, etc.)

 2) tomcat

  a. download tomcat 4.0.3 (unless 4.0.4 comes out)

  b. run tomcat and check out their example webapps

 3) axis

  a. download axis

  b. copy axis war file or webapps tree over to tomcat webapps directory

  c. setup the -Djava.endorsed.dirs in tomcat startup script

  d. run axis samples

 4) write the absolute simples of echo/test web service
    and get it to run -- perhaps even just retyping in
    one of the axis samples but in your own package tree.

Note that you've got several days to several weeks of coming-up-to-speed
ahead of you.

You don't run php via axis.

There isn't a real servlet[s] directory.

I apologize for any mistakes in the above.

Heitzso