axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: AW: How do you pass an XML document between Axis and .Net Cl ient?
Date Fri, 31 May 2002 16:58:36 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrew Vardeman" <andrewv@iastate.edu>
To: <axis-user@xml.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, May 31, 2002 7:53 AM
Subject: RE: AW: How do you pass an XML document between Axis and .Net Cl
ient?

Ack!

>Maybe this shouldn't bug me since the whole point of Axis is you're not
>supposed to care what's on the wire--but the notion of XML-encoding an
>entire XML document so it can be passed as a string via RPC, when instead
>you could just insert the literal document as the SOAP Body, makes no sense
>to me.

well, imagine  you are using a standard XML doc format, like say the 300+
page Job description format for printing (http://www.cip4.org/). And imagine
that two years from now you might have to support the next version.

if your endpoint has a method like submit(JDF descriptor) your runtime can
handle future versions of the format in the same endpoint, by looking at the
schema version of the payload and running with it. Also, with a 300 page
spec, you may want to handle it as SAX events, rather than in a DOM.

I have done this kind of thing with SVG files, because the rendering of the
SVG is handled by something that takes a file containing the SVG XML; our
methods were things like print(SVG,dpi,output-format); combining a large XML
parameter with a couple of primitive types.

-steve