axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: Clients using GET and POST
Date Wed, 22 May 2002 20:55:13 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sudhir" <sudhir@infolead.com>
To: <axis-user@xml.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2002 10:21 AM
Subject: Re: Clients using GET and POST

> First of all , thanks everyone for the informative replies.
> I may be sounding stupid here, but.
> If http://www.mysite.com/GetOrderStatus?OrderNumber=100 can be used for
> accessing a web service, then what is the difference between a normal web
> based app and this kind of web service? then can we term every web based
app
> as "web service"?or how does it qualify to be called as the web service?
> Then someone said these kinds of web services dont need a WSDL. They how
> will these web services be "self describing"? How will the clients know
the
> interface to this service?
> sorry for asking so many questions, but I am confused I guess. If these
> questions are too stupid, ignore them. I will try to do some research
> myself. :)
>
> thanks all
> sudhir

ahh, you are a subversive little bunny, arent you :)

If you are in marketing, any web site that returns data for machines to
process is now a web service.

A stricter definition is "a web site that returns XML data", though I
reserve the right to return binary data too. The REST model can handle this
one, though they are also happy with arbitrary XML data POSTed, in the right
situation.

The SOAP definition is more like "an endpoint that takes an XML message in
the SOAP schema and returns and XML response in the SOAP schema" uses XML
both ways, and has a standardised schema for the envelope, headers and the
body of the request.

but if you look closely, the big SOAP players (MS, IBM) are slowly stepping
away from HTTP as an transport, and want to do new things, like a more
message based world, because that is the only way to do stuff like
callbacks. So and endpoint in future may be a mailto: address, not an http:
address.

Clearer?