axis-java-user mailing list archives

From Walden Mathews <wald...@ilx.com>
Subject RE: XML to XSD
Date Tue, 16 Apr 2002 18:35:07 GMT
JAXB gets incrementally more complex the more you have to override default
translation,
but if you're willing to accept the default, it's only as complex as three
lines of descriptor
per XML schema.  Does Castor give you any control over the binding to java
classes at all?
If so, how does it avoid the complexity of JAXB?  If not, how does it differ
from JAXB in
default mode?

Thanks,
Walden

-----Original Message-----
From: obrand [mailto:obrand@yahoo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 16, 2002 2:11 PM
To: axis-user@xml.apache.org
Subject: Re: XML to XSD

I would recommend using Castor from Exolab to deal with XML and Schemas.
JAXB is too complex since it tries to redefine what Schema already defines
(constraints, type, ....). Using Castor, you will be able to generate the
java framework starting from one file: your schema !
A tool creating Schema from XML is nearly impossible due to the semantic
information which does not show in an XML document. For this reason using
DTD is useless, and JAXB once again is too complex.
I would recommend XML Spy which helps you creating a Schema from an existing
XML, then you can tweak it to refine your rules.
Once finished, you just take the schema, call sourceGen from the exolab
distribution and.... Voila !
Just to add to the polemic, it seems that SUN's future on JAXB is unclear. I
have heard from other SUN engineers that the project might be
re-architected. Anyway SUN's direction for J2EE 1.4 is to move to Schemas,
allowing standard checking from the parser and be able for some vendors to
extend some configurations (I am sure that iPlanet is going to like

Olivier

Adam Greene wrote:

Thanks.  I will look into JAXB (I can get DTDs without any problems from
Forte (it creates them from the XML)).