axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Lene Bredgaard" <lbredga...@skyva.com>
Subject RE: how to implement sessions, persistent objects, etc. ?
Date Fri, 19 Apr 2002 19:00:28 GMT

Hi

I'm no expert, so take this as just a try.

You can specify the scope of a web service to be either request, session
or application.
The session scope would help you having the dialog lasting for more than
one request/ reply.

Lene

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Vardeman [mailto:andrewv@iastate.edu]
Sent: Friday, April 19, 2002 2:45 PM
To: axis-user@xml.apache.org
Subject: how to implement sessions, persistent objects, etc. ?

Hi folks.

My supervisor and I are hoping to use SOAP for communications between a
handheld data collection instrument and the server where the data are
stored.  For this we need a dialogue between the handheld and the server

that will last for more than one request/response.  If I understand Axis

properly, each request is an island.  How do I persist session data?
Or,
suppose I want the server to send two messages for every one sent by the

client.  Or, say I want to fire off an arbitrary number of status
messages
as I process the client's request.  Is there any way (other than writing
separate program and having Axis communicate with it, which seems to
defeat
the whole purpose of Axis) to keep a process running that is specific to

one client's session?  Is it possible for the server to send "responses"

without the associated requests?

Does that make any sense?

Andrew