axis-java-user mailing list archives

From Marc Martinez <lastxit+axis-u...@technogeeks.org>
Subject Re: XML AS A STRING PARAMETER
Date Tue, 11 Dec 2001 22:47:34 GMT
On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 04:37:53PM +0530, Naresh Agarwal wrote:
> I am developing a Soap Service, in which i need to send a XML as return
> parameter of a function.
>
> Currently i'm SENDING THE XML AS A STRING. Now at the client end, client
> should be able to use this XML *AS IS*.
>
> But i came to know that some of the Soap Implementation (like Soap Lite)
> cann't understand the XML, if it is send as a string (probably bcoz of some
> encoding problems).

I think you need to use the 'literal xml' encoding style for this to
work cleanly.

> 2)Also which other SOAP implementations (for Soap Client) have problem in
> understanding such a XML

I think if you use the literal xml encoding things will work as
expected for you.  at least in my initial experiments I had no
problems moving xml data around.

> 3)Also are there any workarounds for this?

when I ran into issues moving high-ascii characters around with my xml
data, I started base64-encoding the output on the perl server side.
this gets you a byte[] result on the java client side, and keeps the
java string handlers from complaining about invalid data and throwing
exceptions.  packing things up into a byte array with an axis server
instead of a bare string, and the perl Soap Lite client automagically
handles the base64 decoding and the return parameter is the originally
encoded xml data.

HTH,
Marc