axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Frederic Desjarlais" <frede...@enjiva.com>
Subject Warning regarding debugging levels
Date Fri, 17 Aug 2001 15:59:04 GMT

It would probably make more sense to wait until more people join the
axis-user list to mention this, but I thought I'd point it out now anyway.

I was writing a SOAP Client using Axis, and decided to bring the debugging
level to something 'high' -- so I chose 10:

e.g.) org.apache.axis.utils.Debug.setDebugLevel(10);

However, this caused more headaches than it should have.  Specifically, in
org.apache.axis.transport.http.HTTPSender (around line 306), we've got:

if ( b != -1 && Debug.getDebugLevel() > 8 ) {
	// Special case - if the debug level is this high then something
	// really bad must be going on - so just dump the input stream
	// to stdout.
	while ( (b = (byte) inp.read()) != -1 )
		System.err.print((char)b);
	System.err.println("");
}

if ( b != -1 ) {
	...<snip>

I figured out the problem after quite a bit of grepping and runtime
debugging.  Maybe it should be placed in the FAQ (for the alpha release),
and/or fixed up for in the main development tree so that others don't try to
bring the debugging level higher than 8.

Without this, I was getting the following AxisFault on invocation of the
service:
AxisFault
  faultCode: http://xml.apache.org/axis/:Server.generalException
  faultString: java.lang.Exception: Null response message!
  faultActor: null
  faultDetails: [[stackTrace: null]]

Thanks!
Frederic