axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Schöning <tschoen...@am-soft.de>
Subject Re: [AXIS2] Some project builds fail if goal "clean" is not used
Date Sat, 09 Sep 2017 13:27:06 GMT
Guten Tag Martin Gainty,
am Samstag, 9. September 2017 um 13:36 schrieben Sie:

MG>>maven-compiler-plugin (with incremental) overwrites most recent changed classes
inside target\classes and target\test-classes
MG>>maven-compiler-plugin (full compile) compiles and overwrites ALL classes (changed
or not)

MG>>as  you have already discovered default behaviour for mvn clean  is to delete ALL
classes in target\classes and target\test-classes

You are getting it wrong: The problem is e.g. "mvn test" without(!)
"clean". In that case there is something which deletes totally
unchanged, formerly successfully compiled classes and only the class
files itself, not the parent directory or any other directory. And
that is bad because some builds depend on formerly
compiled/packaged/whatever results and those are not available anymore
sometimes, because they has been deleted.

Adding "clean" fixes that, because a complete rebuild is issued, but
that shouldn't be needed if I don't change things. Let me quote
myself:

> One example is with axis-metadata, were the following command fails
> after a former successful build:
>
> > mvn test --projects :axis2-metadata
>
> While the following one succeeds:
>
> > mvn clean test --projects :axis2-metadata

From my understanding, "mvn test ..." only shouldn't fail after a
successful former build, but it does. Instead it should simply execute
tests again, which it is doing, but it fails for some tests because
some of those depend on compiled Java classes which are not available
anymore.

So the question only is if "mvn test ..." should have deleted those
files or not.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Thorsten Schöning

Telefon...........05151-  9468- 55