axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Krishantha Manjula Rathnayaka <krishantha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Improve new community members engaging with the project.
Date Thu, 08 Sep 2011 11:03:41 GMT
Hi Deves,

I’m really happy about "How to contribute " guidance idea and the idea of
Committers’ guidance towards the new comers.

Hope that we will able to benefit with these soon.

Keen to hear from you

Thank You!

Kind Regards,

\Krishantha.

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 4:23 PM, Amila Suriarachchi <
amilasuriarachchi@gmail.com> wrote:

>  On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 6:50 PM, Sagara Gunathunga <
> sagara.gunathunga@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi devs ,
>>
>> As we can see number of new people start contributing to Axis2 project
>> we need to simplify and improve the contribution process. Since we
>> can't expect same set of developers to stay on the project forever we
>> should encourage new people to to contribute in order to keep  healthy
>> project. Personally I fell still there are numbers of steps we can
>> introduce to this project to encourage new contributors.
>>
>> 1.) AFAIK at the moment we (committers) can assign JIRA issue to some
>> other committers only there is no way to assign JIRA issues to
>> contributors. As I remember in Woden and number of other Apache
>> projects provide this facility. IMO we need to remove this restriction
>> so that committers can assign issues to contributors too. I believe in
>> this way new contributors feel some strong ownership and kinda
>> relationship with the project.
>>

> +1.
>

>> 2.) Currently when ever new contributor ping to the dev list we ask to
>> go through JIRA page and pick a issue and start contribution. Some
>> people end up being active contributors but some of them select JIRA
>> issues those are not obvious to fix  or there is no developer willing
>> to review those patches or no one here to provide proper guidance, in
>> all those cases final result is people get frustrated and stop
>> contribution. What I  would like to suggest here is once the
>> committers feel a particular issue is easy to fix or if he know the
>> procedure (may be no time to fix it ) or if he willing to provide
>> guidelines / reviews to a contributor mention it in the JIRA issue
>> itself. we can use some kind of a label like
>> Contributor/Easy/QuickStart or something  similar to that as an
>> indication so that new people can easily find those JIRA issues.
>>

> +1. Good idea. Anyway the success of this depends on how much time people
> have to update those jiras.
>

>> 3.) We should create "How to contribute " page for the reference of
>> new contributors.  For the moment we have number of nicely written
>> guides about developers ( release process , site building , mailing
>> etc )  that covers most part of details required to new contributors
>> too but IMO it much useful to have a separate page for new
>> contributors.
>>

> +1.
>
> thanks,
> Amila.
>

>> Any other suggestions ? or objections ?
>>

>> If we can agree on above ( or more ? )   I'm happy to start this process.
>>

>> Thanks !
>>
>> --
>> Sagara Gunathunga
>>
>> Blog      - http://ssagara.blogspot.com
>> Web      - http://people.apache.org/~sagara/
>> LinkedIn - http://www.linkedin.com/in/ssagara

> --
> Amila Suriarachchi
> WSO2 Inc.

*

  Krishantha Rathnayake
SOFTWARE ENGINEER
Service & Asset | Research & Development

501 Galle Road, Colombo 00600 ,   SRI LANKA
Tel +94 78 389 58 07. Fax +94 11 236 44 01
krishantha.rathnayake@ifsworld.com | www.IFSWORLD.com
<http://www.ifsworld.com/>

IFS World Operations AB is a limited liability company registered in Sweden.

Corporate identity number: 556040-6042.
Registered office: Teknikringen 5, Box 1545, SE-581 15 Linköping.

P  Please consider the environment before printing my email

*