axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Veithen <andreas.veit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Axis2] Isn't it time for us to move to Java 6?
Date Thu, 17 Mar 2011 21:10:08 GMT
We need to take into account the interest of the entire user
community, not just particular customers of particular companies
selling particular services. In addition, dropping support for Java
1.5 is not going to change things fundamentally for these
customers/companies:

* We already have developers testing with Java 1.6 and test coverage
doesn't grow linearly with the number of developers.
* There is empirical evidence (see the mailing list posts of the last
few days) that there are some parts of Axis2 that are not regularly
tested at all. This means that the primary concern with respect to
testing is not the Java 1.6 vs. 1.5 question.
* Once Java 1.7 is out, you will again be in a situation where
different developers use different versions of Java.

Finally, if you want to sell a service, then you need to create some
added value that justifies the price of the service. If that service
consists in providing certified distributions of an Open Source
product, then obviously the added value is created by extensively
testing the product on some platform. That is not something that the
volunteer developers in the Open Source project will ever do for you.
They will always provide the software "as is".

If one takes into account all these things, I don't see how your
argument could possibly outweigh the arguments given by Dennis and
Tom.

Andreas

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 03:14, Afkham Azeez <afkham@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 2:33 AM, Andreas Veithen <andreas.veithen@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> I don't see any empirical evidence that would support the claim that
>> Axis2 is not sufficiently tested with Java 1.6. How do you come to
>> that conclusion?
>
> What percentage of developers build/test Axis2 on a regular basis on Java
> 1.6? As providers of commercial support for Axis2 based software, we have
> seen critical issues related to Java. So much so, some of the minor versions
> have produced critical production issues. So, having extensively tested
> Axis2 in a Java 1.5 environment does not satisfy corporate customers. Some
> customers require the software provider to certify which specific Sun/IBM
> etc. JDK versions against which the software has been tested.
> A flat statement like, 'it works on Java 1.5 and above' can be theoretical
> acceptable, but for all practical purposes, it has no real meaning.  In
> theory, Java is write once run anywhere. In practice, Java is write once,
> debug everywhere. :)
>

>> Andreas
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 08:21, Afkham Azeez <afkham@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > If you were working for a company which required that their software run
>> > on
>> > JDK6 and when you ask the developers whether they have extensively
>> > tested
>> > the software on JDK 6, and the answer is, yes, the continuous
>> > integration
>> > system runs that, but we developers mostly test it with JDK5, would you
>> > be
>> > confident enough to provide an assurance to your management that Axis2
>> > works
>> > perfectly on JDK6? Theoretically everything should work fine, but we
>> > know
>> > how software behaves :)

Going from