axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Afkham Azeez <afk...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Axis2] Isn't it time for us to move to Java 6?
Date Sun, 13 Mar 2011 12:49:58 GMT
I believe Oracle will not release any new JDK 1.5 version to fix security
issues such as
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/02/07/java_denial_of_service_bug/

A JDK 1.6 release was provided a few days after the bug was made public.
However, they have made a patching tool available
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/security/alert-cve-2010-4476-305811.html

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 6:02 PM, Andreas Veithen
<andreas.veithen@gmail.com>wrote:

> I think that the question is not asked in the right way. It's not an
> all-or-nothing thing. We can easily set up a Maven profile so that the
> clustering module is skipped if the build is run on Java 1.5. This
> allows us to remain compatible with Java 1.5 for the rest of the
> framework. We only need to update the release procedure to make sure
> that the release build is done using Java 1.6, so that the clustering
> stuff is included in the binary distributions. It's pretty much the
> same approach that was used for the JAXB2 and JAX-WS support up to
> Axis2 1.4.x.
>
> Note that for many people, upgrading to Java 1.6 represents a huge
> effort because it requires an upgrade of the application server on
> which they deploy their applications. At this point, I don't see
> enough added value that would justify to make this mandatory for the
> entire Axis2 stack.
>
> Andreas
>
> On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 12:56, Afkham Azeez <afkham@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Thoughts on $subject please. I had to revert a useful Apache Tribes
> upgrade
> > since Tomcat no longer supports Java 5.
> >
> > --
> > Afkham Azeez