axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Veithen <>
Subject Re: [Axis2] Isn't it time for us to move to Java 6?
Date Sun, 13 Mar 2011 12:32:03 GMT
I think that the question is not asked in the right way. It's not an
all-or-nothing thing. We can easily set up a Maven profile so that the
clustering module is skipped if the build is run on Java 1.5. This
allows us to remain compatible with Java 1.5 for the rest of the
framework. We only need to update the release procedure to make sure
that the release build is done using Java 1.6, so that the clustering
stuff is included in the binary distributions. It's pretty much the
same approach that was used for the JAXB2 and JAX-WS support up to
Axis2 1.4.x.

Note that for many people, upgrading to Java 1.6 represents a huge
effort because it requires an upgrade of the application server on
which they deploy their applications. At this point, I don't see
enough added value that would justify to make this mandatory for the
entire Axis2 stack.

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 12:56, Afkham Azeez <> wrote:
> Thoughts on $subject please. I had to revert a useful Apache Tribes upgrade
> since Tomcat no longer supports Java 5.
> --
> Afkham Azeez
> Senior Software Architect & Senior Manager; WSO2, Inc.;,
> Member; Apache Software Foundation;
> email: cell: +94 77 3320919
> blog:
> twitter: