axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Sosnoski <...@sosnoski.com>
Subject Re: [Axis2] Isn't it time for us to move to Java 6?
Date Wed, 16 Mar 2011 03:24:34 GMT
On 03/16/2011 12:59 AM, Afkham Azeez wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 4:01 PM, Dennis Sosnoski <dms@sosnoski.com
> <mailto:dms@sosnoski.com>> wrote:
>
>     Going from 1.4 to 1.5 gave access to many new features. Going from
>     1.5 to 1.6 seems to me to add very little that's useful.
>
>     What do you see as the big advantages of moving to 1.6/Java 6?
>

> Perhaps you are in a better position to answer that question than me :)

I guess I'm confused - I thought you were the one saying we should move
to requiring Java 6?

One of the main "advances" of Java 6 is the bundling of Sun/Oracle's
JAXB and JAX-WS implementations into the base distribution. But that's
not really a gain for us on Axis2, since we want to use our own versions
instead of the (generally outdated) ones that are present in the
distribution. Aside from that, there are a few added classes (with Deque
probably the most useful), and some scattered added methods. None of
this is going to make any significant difference to the Axis2 codebase,
as far as I can see.

  - Dennis