axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Veithen <andreas.veit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Creating Eclipse Features and a p2 repository for Axis2 Eclipse plugins
Date Sat, 05 Feb 2011 12:34:17 GMT
On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 09:44, Harshana Eranga Martin
<harshana05@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> On 25 January 2011 13:16, Harshana Eranga Martin <harshana05@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> On 25 January 2011 12:01, Saminda Wijeratne <samindaw@wso2.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> There are no other such plugins available to do the same thing in a
>>> generic manner. I got my eye on Tycho [1] which is a project that is
>>> emerging to support maven builds for eclipse projects but it is still in the
>>> incubation stage.
>>
>> Yes. It is the only thing that I also found, which can be used to replace
>> Carbon p2 maven plugin. I'm currently looking at it to check whether it is
>> suitable enough for this task.
>
> I had a good look at the Tycho. It seems to be capable of doing what we
> need. However there is a serious problem with it. As this documentation (and
> many other) [2]  says, Tycho requires Maven 3. But we are still using Maven
> 2 and Maven 2 and Maven 3 are not completely compatible with each other.
> Therefore this is more like a "No Go" for Tycho option IMO.

Personally, I don't think that there is a hard requirement to keep the
Axis2 build compatible with Maven 2. Of course, before making the
switch, we need to make sure that our builds all run smoothly with
Maven 3. The fact Hudson now supports Maven 3 already removes one big
obstacle. Recently our Hudson builds got upgraded accidentally to
Maven 3 and that revealed a couple of issues, but they should be
solvable.

Andreas

> [2]. http://eclipse.org/tycho/download.php
> Thanks and Regards,