axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Harshana Eranga Martin <harshan...@gmail.com>
Subject [Proposal] Creating Eclipse Features and a p2 repository for Axis2 Eclipse plugins
Date Thu, 20 Jan 2011 11:48:04 GMT
Hi All,

Currently there are 2 Eclipse plugins as Axis2 Codegen plugin and Axis2
Service archive plugin under Axis2 tools and at the moment these plugins are
distributed as zip archives. Eclipse users need to extract these
zip archives and copy the jar files to the plugins folder of their Eclipse
installation.

Disadvantage in this approach is, inability to install the plugins if all
the dependencies are not already contains in the users' Eclipse
installation. For example this[0] is caused due to missing javax.activation
and javax.xml.stream bundles/packages.

As Andreas has explained in this [1] issue to solve this problem, we have to
create Eclipse Features for these plugins so that the p2
based Eclipse update manager can automatically calculate and download the
missing dependencies.

So how about we create Eclipse Features and a p2 repository for Axis2
Eclipse plugins and distribute the Eclipse plugins via p2 repository. Devs,
WDYT?

[0]. http://markmail.org/message/bzkt6ylqcvqxznnn
<http://markmail.org/message/bzkt6ylqcvqxznnn>[1].
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AXIS2-4916