axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Veithen <andreas.veit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Sandesha2 release within next couple of days??
Date Mon, 06 Dec 2010 21:06:39 GMT
I think a Sandesha2 release is overdue, because the last one was done
in 2007. This is also a good occasion to finalize the migration of the
Sandesha2 site to the new TLP. The current site is actually in very
bad shape: most of the pages are from the 1.0 release and have never
been regenerated, the Javadocs are from 1.1 and the download page has
been modified manually to include entries for 1.2 and 1.3.

Interestingly, there has been work done on Sandesha2 1.4 [1] and
Sandesha2 1.5 [2], but it appears that these efforts never went beyond
release candidates, and the last official release is still 1.3.

On the positive side:
* Synapse reports that the current trunk works well. We also know that
Sandesha2 is used as WS-RM implementation in IBM products. Since it
doesn't look like there are new features being added, one may
therefore assume that the code on the trunk is stable and in a
releasable state.
* When I did the Axis2 1.5.2 release, I think I tested the Sandesha2
build with that version and it worked well. Since there is also a
quite recent Rampart release, I think we should not have difficulties
to resolve the snapshot dependencies.

To summarize, the only thing that needs to be done is to overhaul a
bit the build and release system (so that we can make our lives easy
by using Nexus), and to make sure that we can properly regenerate the
Maven site with the correct information for the new Axis TLP. I
already did some work on this over the weekend. Since I have
experience with the Nexus stuff, I think I should be able to finish
the job in a couple of days.

What I will already do is to request inclusion of the
org.apache.sandesha2 groupId in the Nexus staging profile. We also
need to agree on the version number for the release. I think it should
be 1.4 because the aforementioned release candidates have never been
published officially. Leaving a gap and calling it 1.6 doesn't make
sense to me.

One final question for the Synapse people: from previous releases, I
remember that after publishing the first release candidate, you do
quite some extensive testing before proceeding to the final vote. This
should give us the necessary time to work on the Sandesha2 release.
Will we see this testing phase also for the Synapse 2.0 release?

Andreas

[1] http://markmail.org/thread/n62ht3mowl4axad7
[2] http://markmail.org/thread/r6nqw7tyq4i5wlqa