axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Ruwan Linton <ruwan.lin...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache Rampart 1.5.1 release
Date Wed, 29 Dec 2010 06:50:11 GMT
Hi Andreas,

Please see my comments inline;

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 5:48 PM, Andreas Veithen
<andreas.veithen@gmail.com>wrote:

> There is another issue with that release caused by the change in
> r1051839, which adds http://dist.wso2.org/maven2 as a repository. The
> problem is that this repository is not properly managed.

Well as of what you have found this statement seems to be correct, but it is
a mistake that we have done, and we are managing the WSO2 m2 repo properly.

> It contains
> artifacts with the same groupId, artifactId and version as Maven
> central, but with different content. Example:
>

> http://dist.wso2.org/maven2/org/apache/axis2/addressing/1.5/addressing-1.5.pom
>
> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/axis2/addressing/1.5/addressing-1.5.pom

Regarding this particular issue, if you carefully have a look, the pom on
the WSO2 m2 repo points to the 1.5-wso2v4 as it's parent, and the mistake
there was that the addressing version has not been updated and it is
deployed as a 1.5 version. I guess this happened because Axis2 fails to
resolve the module version with letters in the trailing part like wso2v4.

> This threatens the stability of the build of the Rampart project as
> well as downstream projects. We had lots of issues with the java.net
> repository, which is also not managed properly, and Axis2 now no
> longer relies on this repository. We should not make the same mistake
> again.

I am not quite sure why the WSO2 m2 repo is being added to rampart as I do
not see any specific WSO2 dependency being added to rampart. Being said that
we are managing the repository properly and we are in the process of getting
Nexus or some infrastructure inplace for managing the repo decently.

Thanks,
Ruwan

> Therefore my vote is -1.
>
> Andreas
>
> On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 05:37, Selvaratnam Uthaiyashankar
> <uthaiyashankar@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Devs,
> >
> > This is the vote for Apache Rampart 1.5.1 release.
> >
> > Please review the signed artifacts:
> >
> > http://people.apache.org/~shankar/rampart/1.5.1/dist/
> >
> > The m2 repository is available at:
> > http://people.apache.org/~shankar/rampart/1.5.1/m2_repo/
> >
> > The site is temporarily hosted at:
> > http://people.apache.org/~shankar/rampart/1.5.1/site/
> >
> > SVN Info:
> > https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/axis/axis2/java/rampart/tags/v1.5.1
> >
> > It was tested against Axis2 release candidates hosted in:
> > http://people.apache.org/~veithen/1.5.4/
> >
> > Here's my +1 (binding) to declare the above dist as Apache Rampart 1.5.1
> >
> > thanks,
> > Shankar

Ruwan Linton
Software Architect & Product Manager