axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Veithen <andreas.veit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Release Rampart 1.5.1 in sync with Axis2 1.5.4
Date Wed, 22 Dec 2010 12:42:15 GMT
This would require again changes to the project structure and/or to
the build and release system. I'm not in principle against this, but
the issue I see with this is the following: In 2009 we moved the
transports into a separate project and in 2010 we migrated to a new
TLP. All this required lots of changes and it took a long time to
complete this (the TLP migration is still not entirely complete). If
we change the project structure every year and every time it takes
months to complete this, then we will never reach a stable situation.

My counterproposal is to keep things as they are in terms of project
structure, but continue to streamline the release processes. We can
then move to a release early, release often policy (as is happening
right now with the Axis2 1.5 branch) and also have simultaneous
releases (as I did for Sandesha2 and Axis2). This would allow us to
keep the flexibility to postpone the release of one of the subprojects
if there are blocking issues.

To summarize: I think that the real pain point is not that we have
separate subprojects, but that the release cycles are too long. This
can only be solved by making the release process easier, more
predictable and well documented.

Andreas