axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From indika kumara <indika.k...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Release Rampart 1.5.1 in sync with Axis2 1.5.4
Date Thu, 30 Dec 2010 16:40:16 GMT
I am just curious to know what the main reasons for having separate projects
for the Sandesha, Rampart, Transports, etc. instead of separated modules
inside the axis2.  pros and cons? especially considering software qualities
such as cost and schedule, marketability, etc.

As per my knowledge, all those products are tightly coupled with the axis2.
If any other project, for instance the Synapse, needs to use them, that
project needs to use the axis2.  There are not reusable in any project that
does not employ the axis2.

Moreover, can an old axis2 binary use a newer rampart binary? For example, a
user only needs to solve a security issue and just needs to update the
security module (here rampart).  Is it recommended? Is there a value for a
previously released product or it just becomes obsolete when a newer version
is released?

Thanks,

Indika

On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 3:22 PM, Andreas Veithen
<andreas.veithen@gmail.com>wrote:

> If that uber-distribution is something separate from the Axis2 build
> and if we have a volunteer to work on it (so that we can get a better
> idea what this means in practice), then I have no objections.
>
> Andreas
>
> On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 04:58, Ruwan Linton <ruwan.linton@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I think there is no objection to this, so I will start on this distro as
> > subproject in axis2 on the trunk. I don't think we can get this
> distribution
> > into the axis2 modules without a major structural change, so assume it is
> OK
> > to create a subproject for the distro and have svn externs to the axis2,
> > rampart and sandesha and let them build before building the distro.
> > Thanks,
> > Ruwan
> >
> > On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 6:00 AM, Nandana Mihindukulasooriya
> > <nandana.cse@gmail.com> wrote:

> separately
> should
> method.
> >>
> >> +1. I am sure it will be much easier for the users to have a distro with
> >> Security & RM built-in rather than downloading them separately and
> >> installing them and they also won't have to worry about which Rampart
> >> version and which Sandesha version work with a given Axis2 version etc.
> >> Best Regards,
> >> Nandana

If

> subprojects