axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Senaka Fernando <sen...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache Rampart 1.5.1 release
Date Wed, 29 Dec 2010 07:49:44 GMT
Hi all,

On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 12:20 PM, Ruwan Linton <ruwan.linton@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Andreas,
>
> Please see my comments inline;
>
> On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 5:48 PM, Andreas Veithen <
> andreas.veithen@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> There is another issue with that release caused by the change in
>> r1051839, which adds http://dist.wso2.org/maven2 as a repository. The
>> problem is that this repository is not properly managed.
>

> Well as of what you have found this statement seems to be correct, but it
> is a mistake that we have done, and we are managing the WSO2 m2 repo
> properly.
>

>> It contains
>> artifacts with the same groupId, artifactId and version as Maven
>> central, but with different content. Example:
>>

>> http://dist.wso2.org/maven2/org/apache/axis2/addressing/1.5/addressing-1.5.pom
>>
>> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/axis2/addressing/1.5/addressing-1.5.pom
>

>  Regarding this particular issue, if you carefully have a look, the pom on
> the WSO2 m2 repo points to the 1.5-wso2v4 as it's parent, and the mistake
> there was that the addressing version has not been updated and it is
> deployed as a 1.5 version. I guess this happened because Axis2 fails to
> resolve the module version with letters in the trailing part like wso2v4.

Ruwan, actually, this particular pom does not use the inherited version from
the parent. It has its own version. If you check carefully, the parent
version is 1.5-wso2v4, but for this particular module, it has been
overridden and defined as 1.5.

>> This threatens the stability of the build of the Rampart project as
>> well as downstream projects. We had lots of issues with the java.net
>> repository, which is also not managed properly, and Axis2 now no
>> longer relies on this repository. We should not make the same mistake
>> again.
>>

> I am not quite sure why the WSO2 m2 repo is being added to rampart as I do
> not see any specific WSO2 dependency being added to rampart.

Same here, I wonder what the intentions were? Do we use any library that's
only available on the WSO2 Repo, and from 1.5.1 onwards?

>  Being said that we are managing the repository properly and we are in the
> process of getting Nexus or some infrastructure inplace for managing the
> repo decently.
>
> Thanks,
> Ruwan
>

>> Therefore my vote is -1.

Andreas, I agree with you. Thanks for keeping a good eye on these changes.

Thanks,
Senaka.

--
*Senaka Fernando*
Member; Apache Software Foundation; http://apache.org

E-mail: senaka AT apache.org
**P: +94 11 223 2481*; *M: +94 77 322 1818
Linked-In: http://www.linkedin.com/in/senakafernando
Blog: http://senakafdo.blogspot.com
*