axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Veithen <andreas.veit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Plan for updating axis(yes it is axis 1 not 2)
Date Fri, 08 Oct 2010 09:29:33 GMT
If I remember correctly, the conclusion of the discussion about the
fate of Axis 1.x was that the Attic [1] focuses on top level projects
that no longer have a community. For subprojects that are no longer
maintained, it's up to the respective TLP to decide what to do with
them. With respect to Axis 1.x, I think that the implicit decision was
to keep the status quo (i.e. to simply leave the code in Subversion
[2] and to have at least download links reachable from the Axis TLP
home page) until somebody volunteers to do some maintenance work on
the code.

If Dilly wants to contribute to this, then I would propose the
following procedure:
* Create and/or update the relevant JIRA issues [1] and attach patches
with the changes.
* Periodically send to java-dev@axis.apache.org a list of JIRA issues
with patches to be reviewed and applied by Tom (or somebody else).

Andreas

[1] http://attic.apache.org/
[2] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/axis/axis1/java/ (Note that the
tags are still under
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/webservices/axis/)
[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AXIS

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 23:38, Tom Jordahl <tjordahl@adobe.com> wrote:
> Hi dilly,
>
> If you are interested in taking on a caretaker role for Axis 1.x, I can give you a hand.
>
> If you have changes (and tests!) that you want to check in to the trunk, I could do that
for you, then we can get you committer status so you could then do that on your own.

> Note that the tentative plan is to move Axis to the Attic, which means it is a 'functional
but retired' codebase.  But you could stop this if you have the time and energy to put in
to moving Axis to a (final?) 1.4.1 or 1.5 release.