axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Veithen <andreas.veit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Axis2] Creation of the 1.6 branch
Date Sun, 26 Sep 2010 21:10:56 GMT
First, these guidelines were written at a time when Subversion didn't
have an effective mechanism to track merges. Second, there is also a
guideline that says that the trunk should "be pointing at SNAPSHOT
versions of all dependencies. This allows for continuous integration
with our partner projects." This is indeed very important as the
recent issue with the XmlSchema release has shown. However, if we
don't create the branch now, we will only discover very late in the
process if we need releases from upstream projects.

Basically, there is an inconsistency between the following two items
in the release guidelines:

* Ideally a release branch is only around for a week or maybe two
before the release happens.
* Soon after a release branch is cut, the RM is responsible for
removing ALL dependencies on SNAPSHOT versions and replacing them with
officially released versions. This change happens only on the release
branch.

This is not realistic because it doesn't take into account the fact
that in some cases, replacing a snapshot dependency by an official
release requires a new release of the dependency. This obviously
invalidates the assumption that a release branch would only exist for
one or two weeks.

Andreas

On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 22:39, Glen Daniels <glen@thoughtcraft.com> wrote:
> Hmm.  I guess I'm not entirely convinced that we should cut the branch yet. Our general
release guidelines [1] are to hold off branching until we're just about ready to release,
to avoid unnecessary merging.