axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Veithen <andreas.veit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Build failures in Rampart 1.5?
Date Wed, 01 Sep 2010 21:17:55 GMT
On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 03:00, Glen Daniels <glen@thoughtcraft.com> wrote:
> On 8/30/2010 5:43 PM, Andreas Veithen wrote:
>> I also fixed (r965136) another issue on the trunk that (I believe)
>> affected the same test cases. Maybe you are seeing that issue?
>
> OK, update follows...  sorry for the long note!
>
> The summary: AbstractHTTPSender r958718 (Jarek's original change) both works
> with Rampart and does not seem to regenerate the CLOSE_WAIT issues.  I'd vote
> that we go with that one for 1.5.2.  Rampart builds seem broken with 1.5.1
> but work with 1.5.2, so we should do a Rampart release soon after Axis2.  We
> should also test Axis2 1.5.2 with Sandesha if we haven't already (?).
>
> The longer version...
>
> Building Rampart 1.5 does not seem to be possible with Axis2 1.5.1 in any
> configuration I've found. :(  I guess the signatures of a few Xalan classes
> changed between 2.7.0 and 2.7.1, and I can't find a way to get the transitive
> dependencies to cooperate and produce a successful build on the branch.  This
> seems bad - however, I assume that the problem is really just with the tests,
> since we haven't heard reports that Rampart isn't actually working with
> 1.5.1.

Note that the issue I fixed on the trunk was that there were two
dependencies to different versions of Xalan (with different group
IDs). If I remember well, the issue was not always reproducible
because the order in which the two JARs appeared on the classpath was
not predictable. That may explain why it worked for the person who did
the Rampart 1.5 release, but not for you. It should also be noted that
because of the java.net repository problem, no Maven build depending
on Axis2 <= 1.5.1 will give predictable results (unless the definition
of the java.net repository is overridden in settings.xml).

> All the following results are regarding Rampart's 1.5 branch:
>
> * Building with the checked-in POM, which uses Axis2 1.5.1, produces the test
> failures discussed on this thread, which are rooted in a missing method in
> org.apache.xml.serializer.Encodings.
>
> * Building with Axis2 1.5.1 with all the transitive Xalan 2.7.0 dependencies
> excluded manually and the 2.7.1 dependency added manually (essentially your
> change above, Andreas) produces a "java.lang.IllegalAccessError: tried to
> access class org.apache.xml.serializer.ExtendedContentHandler from class
> org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerImpl" when trying to do codegen - for
> some reason this doesn't stop the build right there, but it fails as soon as
> the generated code isn't found.

It would probably require the complete list of JARs in the classpath
to investigate that issue. I guess that since it works with
1.5.2-SNAPSHOT, it is not so important to find the explanation.

> * Building with Axis2 1.5.2-SNAPSHOT appears to work fine, and actually works
> with either r990467 of the Axis2 1.5 branch, or with an AbstractHTTPSender
> version modified to match r958718 (in other words, with Jarek's original
> change).  Also confirmed that this version avoids the Windows connection
> starvation issue.

There is one piece of the puzzle missing here. I reread AXIS2-4751 and
here is what happened: Jarek simultaneously did a change for that
issue on the trunk (r958696) and on the 1.5 branch (r958718). It was
actually the change on the trunk that caused failures in Rampart and
Sandesha. Since the damage to the downstream projects was quite
massive (and not fixable by adding a call to cleanup to the broken
test cases), I reverted r958696. Since I was assuming that r958718 was
just a merge of the change to the branch, I also reverted this one in
order to keep things synchronized. However, your finding that r958718
actually works implies that there is something else out of sync
between the trunk and the 1.5 branch. Are we sure that the fix for the
CLOSE_WAIT issue has been applied both to the trunk and the 1.5
branch?

> Note that Rampart trunk builds fine for me with 1.5.2-SNAPSHOT, even without
> Andreas' Xalan-related POM modifications.  I guess Xalan 2.7.0 was getting
> pulled in by Axis2 1.5.1 and not opensaml after all?

Correct. In Axis2 1.5.1, all modules had a dependency on Xalan
(through the parent POM), while in 1.5.2, the dependency is only
declared for those modules that really require it.

> Anyway, go back up and reread the summary + apology at the top. :)
>
> Thanks,
> --Glen
>
> P.S. On another note, I'm not sure why Rampart depends on both
> opensaml/opensaml/1.1 and org.opensaml/opensaml/2.2.3... are those not
> different versions of the same thing?  The build fails if you remove either,
> so I'm wondering what's up there....

Are Axis and Axis2 two different versions of the same thing? ;-) I
don't know much about OpenSAML, but I think that version 2 is a
complete rewrite and uses a different package name. That is also the
reason why in the Maven central repository, there are two different
artifact IDs (opensaml1 and opensaml). They can really coexist as
dependencies of the same project.