axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Jarek Gawor <jga...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r992877 - in /axis/axis2/java/core/trunk: ./ modules/adb-codegen/test-resources/testsuite/ modules/adb-codegen/test/org/apache/axis2/schema/particlemaxoccurs/ modules/kernel/src/org/apache/axis2/jsr181/ modules/kernel/src/org/apache/a
Date Thu, 16 Sep 2010 05:47:10 GMT
On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 12:51 AM, Amila Suriarachchi
<amilasuriarachchi@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > If some one wants this behavior it can be easily done even with the
>> > earlier
>> > code by setting appropriate parameters.
>>
>> I can argue the same with these changes. You can also set appropriate
>> parameter to pass your own HttpConnectionManager with custom settings
>> (e.g. pass SimpleHttpConnectionManager to effectively disable
>> connection reuse or pass MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager with
>> higher maxConnectionsPerHost setting, etc.).
>
> yes. But the idea of this commit is to fix the problem out of the box. Which
> is still not the case.

The key idea of these changes were to ensure that connection reuse is
done properly (in thread safe way). The idea of connection reuse by
default was a secondary thought. Connection reuse by default was
enabled in the 1.5 branch (before any of my changes) but for whatever
reason wasn't merged into trunk. So I just made sure the 1.5 branch
and trunk work/behave the same.

>> I think the real question you are raising is if connection reuse
>> should be done by default. I thought the answer to that question was
>> yes.
>
> yes if we do this change at the early stages of Axis2. But currently lot of
> people use it without using cleanUpTransport method. Even this is the
> problem with Rampart and Sandesha. After 1.5.1 release I saw lot of people
>
> So this patch does not solve the problem out of the box for all cases. But
> it break the code for some people.

No change ever will.. Again, I thought we wanted connection reuse by
default. And if that's what we want then people will have to adapt to
the new behavior.

Personally, I don't care if connection reuse is done by default or
not. All I care about is that if/when connection reuse is enabled it
is done in a thread safe way. If you want to put a big if statement
around the block of code in question that is cool with me.

Jarek