axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Glen Daniels <>
Subject Re: [Axis2] Creation of the 1.6 branch
Date Sun, 26 Sep 2010 23:22:38 GMT
Hi Andreas,

On 9/26/2010 5:10 PM, Andreas Veithen wrote:
> First, these guidelines were written at a time when Subversion didn't
> have an effective mechanism to track merges. Second, there is also a

The guidelines were written simply to avoid extra work and therefore the
possibility of skew.

> guideline that says that the trunk should "be pointing at SNAPSHOT
> versions of all dependencies. This allows for continuous integration
> with our partner projects." This is indeed very important as the
> recent issue with the XmlSchema release has shown. However, if we
> don't create the branch now, we will only discover very late in the
> process if we need releases from upstream projects.

I see your point here.  How about we amend the process to say that trunk can
be switched over to static versions of dependencies at any time, but as a
general guideline we should be SNAPSHOT-ing at least the dependencies that we
know are evolving with us (XmlSchema, Axiom, etc...).  Then we can just do
the experimentation to make sure we're working with the latest releases of
our dependencies on the trunk.  That's just considered one of the things we
do as we get ready for a release, just like fixing particular JIRAs targeted
at the release - but we still don't cut the branch until we've got a release
plan in place.

If we require our dependencies to do a new release before we can release,
then we manage that on the trunk also.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message