axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Veithen <andreas.veit...@gmail.com>
Subject Fwd: Including -bin and -src archives in Maven repos.
Date Thu, 19 Aug 2010 19:26:06 GMT
All,

What is our point of view on the question below?

Personally I think we should indeed avoid deploying the distributions
to Maven central. In a similar discussion on
release-discuss@apache.org, somebody pointed out that this can be
achieved quite easily by configuring the maven-deploy-plugin with the
skip option (for Axis2, this would mean changing this setting in the
distribution module).

Andreas

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 18:15
Subject: Including -bin and -src archives in Maven repos.
To: Apache Infrastructure <infrastructure@apache.org>

Commons builds (mvn deploy) currently put both Maven jar files and
non-Maven zip and tar.gz archives into the Nexus staging repository.

For example:

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-098/org/apache/commons/commons-compress/1.1/

If we don't delete the zips and tar.gz files, then the size of each
Commons release on the Maven repos will be at least tripled.

There is also the risk that users may start downloading the non-Maven
archives from Maven repos rather than the mirrors.

I think we should delete the non-Maven archives before using Nexus to
release the rest of the files to the Maven repo, but others on Commons
think we should release the whole lot as is.

[Obviously we need to copy the non-Maven files to the appropriate
/dist/commons directories on people as well].

Please can we have some advice?