axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Veithen <andreas.veit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Axis2 Trunk Build Broken
Date Thu, 08 Jul 2010 21:14:24 GMT
Confirmed. The explanation for this is as follows:

* Axis2 uses a parent POM that is different from the root POM. Until a
couple of days ago, the root POM still referred to
org.apache:apache:3, while the parent POM had already been upgraded to
org.apache:apache:6 some time ago. This caused some inconsistencies
and I had to change the root POM to use org.apache:apache:6.

* In a previous post I mentioned that building the trunk with an empty
local repository results in corruption of some POMs and artifacts in
the local repository. That is because the trunk uses the 1.5 versions
of the MAR and AAR plugins and these plugins have POMs that refer to
an invalid java.net repository. Until now that didn't seem to cause
any fatal error in the trunk build itself, but with the change in the
root POM, the org.apache:apache:3 POM gets corrupted. You can see that
in the following output from Maven:

Downloading: https://maven-repository.dev.java.net/nonav/repository//org.apache/poms/apache-3.pom
349b downloaded
[WARNING] *** CHECKSUM FAILED - Checksum failed on download: local =
'0f56ee033ef4b78d33722aceb71a09c7ed68183f'; remote = '<!DOCTYPE' -
RETRYING
Downloading: https://maven-repository.dev.java.net/nonav/repository//org.apache/poms/apache-3.pom
349b downloaded
[WARNING] *** CHECKSUM FAILED - Checksum failed on download: local =
'0f56ee033ef4b78d33722aceb71a09c7ed68183f'; remote = '<!DOCTYPE' -
IGNORING

This ultimately causes the error "Cannot find parent: org.apache:apache".

I think that if we want to make sure that the Axis2 trunk can be build
out of the box without any tweaks in settings.xml or ugly workarounds,
we have to use the SNAPSHOT versions of the MAR and AAR plugins. As
explained earlier, with this change we may run again into the chicken
and egg problem, but it will be easier to help people to get around
this problem than around a corrupted local repository. We may later
change the build to use the 1.5.2 versions of the plugins (which no
longer refer to the invalid java.net repository) to avoid the chicken
and egg problem.

Andreas