axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Veithen <andreas.veit...@gmail.com>
Subject [Vote] Simplifying the Axis2 release process (part 2)
Date Wed, 28 Jul 2010 22:43:54 GMT
All,

I've changed the configuration of the Hudson build for Axis2/trunk to
enable the apache-release profile. This means that the build will now
execute exactly those steps that would be executed during a release
(except that it still produces snapshots and that signatures are
disabled). This includes:

* Building a Javadoc JAR in addition to the source JAR, as defined in
the org.apache:apache:7 super-POM.
* Building the documents distribution as discussed in a previous thread.
* Building the default source distribution as defined in the
org.apache:apache:7 super-POM.

Obviously you may see some build instabilities because of this change.

There are still several things to do before the trunk becomes releasable:

1. Change (a) the POM metadata and (b) the site to reflect the
migration of Axis2 into a new TLP.
2. Finalize the simplification of the site and check the documentation
for broken links and incorrect information.
3. Decide whether we keep the old source distribution built by
modules/distribution or the default source distribution configured in
the org.apache:apache:7 super-POM.
4. Include the binary distribution in the apache-release profile (and
decide whether it should be built in the modules/distribution
submodule or from the root).
5. Testing the apache-release profile and checking the quality of the
produced artifacts and distributions (inclusion of the right legal
files, correct variable substitution, etc.).

Points 1.(a), 3, 4 and 5 also apply to the 1.5 branch (I'm merging the
changes in the build process from trunk to the branch, but I'm
assuming here that we won't build the site for 1.5.2 because it's only
a maintenance release).

Points 3 and 4 also mark a kind of point of no return where the old
release profile is removed and after which we can no longer do the
release using the old process.

Since we are approaching that point, I propose to ask infra to create
a staging profile for the Axis project so that we can use the release
process defined in org.apache:apache:7 with Nexus [1].

It should be noted that a staging profile is defined using Maven
groupIds. Therefore this will be applicable automatically also for the
Axis2 Transports subproject. For the subprojects using a groupId other
than org.apache.axis2, please let me know if you want me to include
your groupId in the request to infra as well. Note that we will
probably have a single staging profile for the entire Axis TLP,
because the user permissions will be the same for all subprojects.

Andreas

[1] maven.apache.org had a nice page with some screenshots explaining
the process, but that page has disappeared. Please see
http://www.apache.org/dev/publishing-maven-artifacts.html instead.