axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Tharindu Mathew <thari...@wso2.com>
Subject Re: [Axis2-Spring] Let's get started: servlet + axis2.xml + JSR-181
Date Mon, 12 Apr 2010 05:41:34 GMT
Hi Andreas,

I've made some comments inline.

On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 5:36 PM, Andreas Veithen
<andreas.veithen@gmail.com>wrote:

> After thinking about this a bit more, here is a design that should be
> able to take into account the different concerns:
>
> 1. The ConfigurationContext is stored in the Spring application
> context -> makes it easy to get hold of the ConfigurationContext in
> the servlet, the standalone ListenerManager and/or clients.
> 2. The ConfigurationContext is created by a FactoryBean that relies on
> ConfigurationContextFactory with a custom AxisConfigurator -> makes
> sure that things are set up in the order expected by the Axis2 runtime
> and that the Axis2 runtime has a chance to make the necessary
> initializations.
> 3. The custom AxisConfigurator is implemented as follows:
> 3.a. It will first delegate to an existing one
> (FileSystemConfigurator, URLBasedAxisConfigurator or
> WarBasedAxisConfigurator, depending on the runtime environment) to
> load axis2.xml. Once we have support for all-Spring configuration,
> this would become an optional step.

+1 for this approach. Going according to your notes, this point seems to
conform with making axis2 more Spring oriented. Until we can get the whole
configuration into Spring, defaulting to an existing option seems to be the
best option.

> 3.b. It will then scan the Spring application context for beans of
> type AxisService and add those to the AxisConfiguration (at the right
> moment expected by the Axis2 runtime).
> 4. The Spring components that are used to deploy services
> (services.xml like, JSR-181, etc.) are implemented as bean definitions
> that contribute AxisService instances to the application context (so
> that they are found in 3.b.). This still makes these components
> self-contained, because the custom AxisConfigurator only looks up
> AxisService instances from the application context, but doesn't need
> to have any knowledge about how they are created.
>
> Notes:
> - Point 1 does not imply that the Spring configuration will have an
> element representing the ConfigurationContext bean. The necessary bean
> definition could be added by a bean factory post processor. Also, by
> giving a well defined name to the ConfigurationContext bean, there is
> no need for explicit references to it in the configuration file; they
> would be automatically added by the namespace support. Thus the
> existence of the ConfigurationContext as a bean in the application
> context would be transparent to the developer.
> - Point 3.b. would later be generalized/extended to support modules,
> as well as transport declarations and other things appearing in
> axis2.xml.
> - Stephan's code for automatic deployment of JSR-181 annotated beans
> would become inconsistent with the strategy described in points 3.b.
> and 4, because it takes already initialized JSR-181 annotated beans,
> build AxisService descriptions and adds them to an already initialized
> AxisConfiguration. Although this should still work, it is probably
> better to make this consistent again by replacing the bean
> postprocessor by a bean factory postprocessor that scans the bean
> factory for bean definitions that produce JSR-181 annotated beans and
> that adds the necessary bean definitions to contribute the AxisService
> instances to the application context.

I thought Stephen's idea was interesting. Any reason as to why you are going
back on this idea? I'm still a bit unsure about what exactly the requirement
is for this section to choose which approach is better.