axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Veithen <andreas.veit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Axis2-Spring integration
Date Fri, 02 Apr 2010 10:46:44 GMT
On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 08:42, Amila Suriarachchi
<amilasuriarachchi@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 1:47 AM, Andreas Veithen <andreas.veithen@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> One last message with java-user in copy: I've created a page on our
>> brand new Wiki:
>>
>> http://wiki.apache.org/axis/Axis2Spring
>>
>> Please feel free to edit and add your ideas.
>
> Thanks Andreas for creating the wiki an initiating the this work.
>
> Let me put my view and suggestion first before directly editing the wiki.
>
> Here the term Axi2 is embeded inside the spring can be elaborated as Axis2
> users spring beans initialised by the spring framework rather than
> initialising itself. In otherwords it acks as another plugin[1] to spring
> container.
>
>  Why this is important? Indikas' question gives the answer. Spring beans
> have all the features available with the spring container and additionally
> webservice support.
>
> We can do this by using existing axis2-spring support by using
> org.apache.axis2.extensions.spring.receiversSpringServletContextObjectSupplier
> but the configuration is done by using same axis2 xml files.
>
> The proposed project let users to do that as spring configuration files as
> well. But still transports, modules and all manged by Axis2 runtime.
>
> So I suggest first paragraph should some thing like this.
>
> The goal is to provide Spring integration for Axis2 in scenarios where Axis2
> is embedded inside Spring (i.e. where the Axis2 runtime uses the spring
> beans initialized by the Spring container) while keeping the configuration
> also witin the spring beans. This is different from the scenario supported
> by the existing axis2-spring module, which addresses the scenario of
> implementing a service using Spring, while all the configurations are done
> using axis2 xml files and initialize the spring beans by itself.

As I wrote in my blog post, I personally prefer to have everything
inside Spring. However, I agree with Sagara that some people may
prefer to keep using the traditional axis2.xml file. From what I've
seen so far, it is fairly easy to support both approaches. If we can
give the user the option to choose between the two approaches while
still keeping the architecture simple, then we should not restrict
ourselves to a single option.

> I am not still clear about the stanalone mode. If we assume that as letting
> someone to start the simple axis2 server
> with a spring bean support configuration (i.e configurations in axis2.xml
> services.xml) this is not related to the orignal goal.

Just to be clear: standalone means scenarios that don't use a servlet
container, or at least that don't use the AxisServlet transport. This
may be a plain Java application that uses Spring, either with
SimpleHTTPServer or e.g. only the JMS transport. It may also be an
application that doesn't use any transport listener, but that is only
a Web service client. Or it may be an OSGi bundle implemented with
Spring...

Probably for everyone the priority of supporting this is different,
but again, if we can do it without making the architecture complex, we
should support it. As my PoC code shows, it is actually extremely easy
to support this. The only thing that is needed is to create and start
a ListenerManager in the application context.