axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Veithen <andreas.veit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache mentoring programme
Date Thu, 08 Apr 2010 18:47:57 GMT
On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 10:20, Heusinger, Marcel
<marcel.heusinger@uni-due.de> wrote:
> [...]
> that I could familiarize myself with the Axis2 project and make valuable
> contributions after the program in the form of patches and so on. Below you
> find some more about myself and my proposed Mentoring Programme idea. Thank
> you for your attention.
>

> A brief CV
>
> ---------------------
>
> My name is Marcel Heusinger, 28 years old, finished my studies of
> information systems some month ago, and I live in Essen, Germany.
>
> Currently, I am working in my fourth year at the University of
> Duisburg-Essen (most of the time as part-time student assistant; the last
> five month as research assistant), where I worked on projects with Java and
> PHP. The source code of two of my projects can be found at
> http://www.mycore.de/viewvc/viewvc.cgi/miless/trunk/module-blackboard/
>
> and http://www.mycore.de/viewvc/viewvc.cgi/miless/trunk/module-moodle/.
>
> Both of these projects integrated the Web service functionalities of the
> open-source documentation and publication server miless
> (http://duepublico.uni-duisburg-essen.de/) into the e-learning management
> systems Moodle and Blackboard respectively. At the moment I am working on a
> jBPM-based workflow application to support the library's processes.
>
> During all these projects I gained solid understanding of Web service
> standards like Xml Schemas, WSDL, and SOAP and I worked with tools like
> Eclipse, Ant, and Maven. Furthermore, I already had a quick flip through the
> Axis2 source code. So  the mentoring related extra work would narrow down to
> Axis2 implementation questions and how to integration my contribution into
> the total project structure.
>

> My project idea
>
> ---------------------
>
> Main idea: Generate JavaDoc documentation for client-side code/Web service
> proxy that was generated with Axis2. It would be much easier to work with
> generated proxies if its method would be documented.
>
> How it should be accomplished: As it is possible to annotate Xml schema
> files with an annotation element which itself could contain Dublin core
> elements. As these Dublin Core elements could be refined without
> jeopardizing applications that do not understand the refinement as long as
> they are able to understand the RDF-based refinement mechanism. This
> mechanism could be used to define a Dublin Core Application Profile
> (http://dublincore.org/documents/profile-guidelines/ and
>
> http://dublincore.org/documents/singapore-framework/) that could be used to
> create a mapping between the refined elements and JavaDoc tags.
>
> This application profile and the mapping could be used to add JavaDoc tags
> to the proxy code that is generated by Axis2, if the Xml schema uses the
> annotation element in conjunction with refined Dublin Core elements.
>

> As I am not that deep into Axis2 and its roadmap, and you think that idea
> would be useless or have any other plans, I would be happy to participate at

Two quick questions about your proposal:

- Axis2 supports several binding styles. There is the classic code
generator (wsdl2java) that supports different data bindings (the
default ADB, xmlbeans, JIBX,...), but there is also support for JAX-WS
artifacts generated by wsimport (which is not part of Axis2, but that
comes from Sun's JAX-WS reference implementation). What would be the
scope of this project?
- Can you give an example of how an annotated XML schema element would
look like? That would give us a better understanding of the ideas you
have in mind.

Thanks.

Andreas