axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Amila Suriarachchi <amilasuriarach...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Axis2-Spring] Let's get started: servlet + axis2.xml + JSR-181
Date Sun, 11 Apr 2010 01:44:17 GMT
On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 2:05 AM, Andreas Veithen
<andreas.veithen@gmail.com>wrote:

> [...]
> It
> > is also just a matter of creating a
> > configuration context and starting the listners.
> >

> >> * This will also make support for the client side easier, since we
> >> need a ConfigurationContext as well to create the stub or the JAX-WS
> >> dynamic proxy.
> >
> > yes. possibly but need to figure out with a working code.
> >

> >> * It would make the implementation of the servlet very easy: just
> >> extend AxisServlet and look up the ConfigurationContext from the
> >> Spring application context.
> >
> > If you see the AxisServlet it starts the listener manager in the init
> > method. so need to override that method too. Otherwise it is enogh to
> > override initConfigContext method.
> >

> >> * Last but not least, it also implies that the components that deploy
> >> the services (or modules if we want to support that) are completely
> >> self-contained. In my PoC, this is PojoServiceFactoryBean [6] and this
> >> class is only known by the bean definition parser and (indirectly) the
> >> namespace handler. On the other hand, the servlet itself doesn't need
> >> to know anything about it. This fact makes the framework much easier
> >> to extend: if somebody comes up with new ways to deploy things, there
> >> is no need to change the core; it is sufficient to add a FactoryBean
> >> and the corresponding namespace handling stuff.
> >
> > yes. but no relation to whether we use ConfigurationContext or
> > AxisConfiguration isn't?
> >>
> >> The only potential issue I see is that compared to WSF/Spring and
> >> Axis2M, this approach provides less control (at least out of the box)
> >> about the order in which things are added to the
> >> AxisConfiguration/ConfigurationContext, but I'm not sure yet about the
> >> possible implications of this.
> >
> > see the createConfigurationContext I think it assumes axisConfiguration
> is
> > finished by the time configuration context is created. And also I think
> this
> > would make debug the application make difficult.
>
> There are indeed three different approaches:
>
> * Manage both AxisConfiguration and ConfigurationContext outside of
> Spring. This is what Axis2M and WSF/Spring do. This will definitely
> cause the issues I described.
> * Let Spring manage AxisConfiguration, but create the
> ConfigurationContext outside of Spring (in the servlet and by the
> component that creates the ListenerManager in the standalone
> scenario).
> * Let Spring manage both AxisConfiguration and ConfigurationContext.
> This is what I've chosen in my PoC.
>
> Since using the servlet and using ListenerManager are mutually
> exclusive, you are right that as long as the ListenerManager is the
> only component that requires a ConfigurationContext, the second
> approach works well. Since the components that deploy services only
> need access to the AxisConfiguration, but not the
> ConfigurationContext, we indeed need to check what exactly is required

Any message sending requires a configuration context. But I think even for
that case it is possible to
register configuration context pragmatically after initialisation and use it
at the message sending time.

Axis2 specifies axis configuration details in axis2.xml and it creates the
configuration context after creating the AxisConfiguration. When creating
the configuration it initialise all the services and modules. There is no
point in changing that if there are no problems could not solve in this
method.

> > And also here are some other things I saw with your code.
> > 1. It has developed as an axis2 module. I think we need to decide on this
> at
> > first place since project structure has to change accordingly. I think we
> > need to put it as a seperate project.
>
> Personally, I'm unsure about the right answer to this question. I
> think someone argued that creating this as a separate project would
> allow us to have more frequent releases. However, one can also argue
> that instead of spending our energy in managing the releases of
> different projects, we should spend that energy to do more frequent
> releases of the Axis2 core project. Of course we would have to
> overcome the problem of upstream releases (Axiom, Woden, etc.)...

I think you have missed what Saranga has pointed out. It is not only about
having frequent releases.
Axis2 spring will supposed to have a spring based axis2 configuration and a
service deployment. So it is worth
to have it as a different project.

thanks,
Amila.