axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Amila Suriarachchi <amilasuriarach...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Axis2-Spring integration
Date Wed, 31 Mar 2010 17:59:16 GMT
On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 1:40 PM, Andreas Veithen
<andreas.veithen@gmail.com>wrote:

> All,
>
> Recently there have been some questions and discussions about Spring
> support in Axis2 [1] [2] [3] [4]. As mentioned in these references,
> WSO2 has developed a framework that provides Axis2-Spring integration
> [5]. Also, Sagara Gunathunga has done some very interesting work [6],
> but this has not yet been released. In [1] I argue that neither of
> these two frameworks provide a definite solution and Sagara actually
> agrees with my analysis.

I also agree with your analysis :) but let me tell something about it as one
of the initial designer of wsf/spring.

As I learned about the spring (two years ago) it promotes a way to write the
business logic as POJOs and managed them using spring framework. Spring
provides functionalities to let these business methods to access data layer
and expose them as web applications. But you can test the business logic
without being depending on the data layer or web layer as they are written
as POJOs.

The idea of the wsf/spring was to let people expose these POJOs as web
services. For this it uses RPCMessage receiver, schema generator and some
utility methods of axis2-spring. So some of the new features you have
mentioned was not considered by that time as well.

> On my side, after writing my review and in
> reaction to [3], I wrote some PoC code to explore how some of my wish
> list items could be implemented. This code is available at [7]. I
> would also like to mention the interesting contributions made by
> Stephan van Hugten, who opened [3]. I would really like to see him
> continuing to contribute.
>
> After discussion with Sagara, we decided to join our efforts under the
> umbrella of the Axis2 project.

Can we do this? According to apache rules I think it has to start an
incubator project. I am +1 on starting as axis project :)

For me the ideal place is in the spring code base itself. As I remember this
is where the cxf/xfire spring integrations lies. Since this is a feature for
spring users it would give a better visibility to axis2 as well.

> Probably what you will see happening in
> the next days is that Sagara will bring the existing Axis2M Spring
> code into a sandbox area in Axis2 [8] and that we will start a
> discussion about how to best merge our two codebases (which for the
> moment address different parts of the problem) into a single one.

Although wsf/spring has short commings that you have pointed out, it
describes a better possible way of integrating Axis2 into a spring container
(I think this could be the reason for forking Axis2M from wsf/spring as
mentioned in the your blog). And also it supports ws security as well.
Therefore it would be easy to start from the wsf/spring and gradually
improve it to suite for new requirement would be an easy approach.

So would like to propose to start with wsf/spring. Further Axis2M has forked
from wsf/spring and it has go bak to use axis2.xml as well.

I think that everybody agrees that it will be beneficial for Axis2 to
> provide a good Spring integration out of the box. Of course, this is
> also the right moment to look for involvement of others in the
> community (developers and end users). I you want to help shaping the
> solution, please participate in discussions, provide scenarios that
> you would like to see supported, make suggestions, contribute code or
> simply test the code.
>

>From the given features list I really like the idea of servlet + jaxws +
spring. As I mentioned earlier wsf/spring uses RPC message receiver. But
this has some issues with performance and support lists maps etc. So if we
can solve these issues with jaxws message receiver or a new message receiver
based on jaxb while supporing jaxws it would be a really advantage of the
user point of view. IMHO for a normal user the performance and the
complexity level of the POJOs that we can support is also very important.

thanks,
Amila.