axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Amila Suriarachchi <amilasuriarach...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Making JAX-WS services configurable (with a services.xml or Axis2 specific annotations)
Date Tue, 09 Mar 2010 13:07:18 GMT
On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 3:45 PM, Sagara Gunathunga <
sagara.gunathunga@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 10:23 AM, Amila Suriarachchi <
> amilasuriarachchi@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 5:39 PM, Andreas Veithen <
>> andreas.veithen@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I also created a proof-of-concept [1] that shows the feasibility of
>>> the services.xml based approach that I suggested in AXIS2-4611. It
>>> implements a custom deployer that is based on ServiceDeployer, but
>>> replaces the code that builds the initial AxisService object from the
>>> WSDL by code that uses
>>> org.apache.axis2.jaxws.description.DescriptionFactory. Of course this
>>> introduces massive code duplication and is thus only valid as a
>>> proof-of-concept.
>>
>> Apart from this I think when we introduce a new deployer then we need to
>> have a different folder to
>> deploy files and a different extension.
>>

>>> To do this properly, it would be necessary to modify
>>> ServiceDeployer to create some sort of extension point that allows
>>> JAX-WS to supply the initial AxisService description.
>>>

>> I think your intention here is to let users to deploy JAX-WS services as
>> aar files which already
>> have the service.xml. IMHO we need to add service.xml support to JAX-WS
>> services. ie. jaxws jar files can have an optional service.xml file in the
>> META-INF.
>>
>> AFAIK(please correct me if I wrong :)), at the initial statges Axis2 does
>> not have the concept of custom deployers. So at that time (time when JAX-WS
>> started) every thing deployed as .aar files. But latter there were problems
>> with JAX-WS support in aar files and introduced thin new custom deployer
>> concept to address this issue. Therefore adding JAX-WS support to .aar files
>> may not be the best approach.
>>

> Another important use case is to support JAX-WS based WAR archive
> deployment , lot of people want to integrate web services as a part of their
> web  applications by adding AxisServlet  in the web.xml file , this works
> fine for native services.xml based web service deployment but AFAIK we can't
> use WAR deployment with JAX-WS ,

I have not tried this but I think it is possible. if you deploy a .jar file
under WEB-INF/servicejars I think it is possible.

> It's going to be a valuable feature if we can support for this.
>

>> These are the options I can think of adding axis2 specific custermizations
>> to JAX-WS.
>>
>> 1. Support optional services.xml file in META-INF
>>          Services.xml file is a too generic file. So people may confuse
>> with some options with services.xml file.
>> 2. Introduce new optional config file in META-INF (eg axis2-jaxws.xml)
>>           May have to duplicate some exising code in ServiceBuilder
>> 3. Introduce axis2 specific anotations to JAX-WS
>>            May have problems with writting annotations to set the security
>> polices.
>>

> Personally I like to have a descriptor file such as axis2-jaxws.xml or
> usual service.xml rather introducing another set of axis2 specific
> annotations.

Think about a scenario like this. Lets say some one has wirten a jax ws
service already and they need to deploy it under 'transportSession' in that
case isn't it easy to just add an anotation to existing jax ws web service
class instead of writtng a new services.xml file?

Infact there can be instances where services.xml is useful and annotations
useful.

thanks,
Amila.

--