axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Amila Suriarachchi <amilasuriarach...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Making JAX-WS services configurable (with a services.xml or Axis2 specific annotations)
Date Tue, 09 Mar 2010 04:53:49 GMT
On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 5:39 PM, Andreas Veithen
<andreas.veithen@gmail.com>wrote:

> I also created a proof-of-concept [1] that shows the feasibility of
> the services.xml based approach that I suggested in AXIS2-4611. It
> implements a custom deployer that is based on ServiceDeployer, but
> replaces the code that builds the initial AxisService object from the
> WSDL by code that uses
> org.apache.axis2.jaxws.description.DescriptionFactory. Of course this
> introduces massive code duplication and is thus only valid as a
> proof-of-concept.

Apart from this I think when we introduce a new deployer then we need to
have a different folder to
deploy files and a different extension.

> To do this properly, it would be necessary to modify
> ServiceDeployer to create some sort of extension point that allows
> JAX-WS to supply the initial AxisService description.

I think your intention here is to let users to deploy JAX-WS services as aar
files which already
have the service.xml. IMHO we need to add service.xml support to JAX-WS
services. ie. jaxws jar files can have an optional service.xml file in the
META-INF.

AFAIK(please correct me if I wrong :)), at the initial statges Axis2 does
not have the concept of custom deployers. So at that time (time when JAX-WS
started) every thing deployed as .aar files. But latter there were problems
with JAX-WS support in aar files and introduced thin new custom deployer
concept to address this issue. Therefore adding JAX-WS support to .aar files
may not be the best approach.

These are the options I can think of adding axis2 specific custermizations
to JAX-WS.

1. Support optional services.xml file in META-INF
         Services.xml file is a too generic file. So people may confuse with
some options with services.xml file.
2. Introduce new optional config file in META-INF (eg axis2-jaxws.xml)
          May have to duplicate some exising code in ServiceBuilder
3. Introduce axis2 specific anotations to JAX-WS
           May have problems with writting annotations to set the security
polices.

Thanks,
Amila.