axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Dan Jonsen <dejon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: import header migration from Apache SOAP to Axis2
Date Sun, 07 Mar 2010 23:03:38 GMT
Thank you again Martin,

I decided that the book I had was just TOO OLD (c 2001).  Even though I found the text to
be excellent and very easy to follow, I realized that so much has changed with web services
since its publication that I ran a significant risk (case in point here) of being led toward
obsolete technologies and other dead-ends.  I returned the old book and got a copy of "Java
Web Services:  Up and Running", (c 2009, O'Reilly).  Hopefully this will be a _bit_ more current
than the other one...

Sorry for the false alarm.

Dan Jonsen

Consultant
Security Software Solutions

On Mar 5, 2010, at 11:12 PM, Martin Gainty wrote:

> currently 2300 Zulu+5 here
> tommorrow is saturday a day i can devote to leisure activities such as Axis Development
> i'll take a look tommorow am..
>
> look for a response by sun pm at the latest
> Martin Gainty
>
> Diese Nachricht ist vertraulich. Sollten Sie nicht der vorgesehene Empfaenger sein, so
bitten wir hoeflich um eine Mitteilung. Jede unbefugte Weiterleitung oder Fertigung einer
entfaltet keine rechtliche Bindungswirkung. Aufgrund der leichten Manipulierbarkeit von E-Mails
koennen wir keine Haftung fuer den Inhalt uebernehmen.
> Ce message est confidentiel et peut être privilégié. Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire
responsabilité pour le contenu fourni.

> From: dejonsen@gmail.com
> Subject: Re: import header migration from Apache SOAP to Axis2
> Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 21:44:21 -0500
> To: java-dev@axis.apache.org
>
> Thank you Martin,
>
> I can't imagine that RPC would be a requirement in this case; it's probably just what
was easier to use in 2001.  I am simply trying to get the code below to build.  If there is
a newer/better way to do this using Axis2 with minimal changes, that may be easier than downgrading
just for RPC capability.  Any thoughts on how to get the code below to compile would be greatly
appreciated.

> [...]
>   */
>   public String getGreeting (String firstName)
>     throws SOAPException, MalformedURLException {
>
>     //  Create SOAP RPC Call Object
>     Call call = new Call ();
>
>     // Set Encoding Style to standard SOAP encoding
>     call.setEncodingStyleURI(Constants.NS_URI_SOAP_ENC);
>
>     // Set Object URI and Method Name
>     call.setTargetObjectURI ("urn:examples:helloservice");
>     call.setMethodName ("sayHello");
>
>     //  Set Method Parameters
>     Parameter param = new Parameter("firstName", String.class,
>       firstName, Constants.NS_URI_SOAP_ENC);
>
>     Vector paramList = new Vector ();
>     paramList.addElement (param);
>     call.setParams (paramList);
>
>     //  Set the URL for the Web Service
>     URL url = new URL ("http://localhost:8080/soap/servlet/rpcrouter");
>
>     // Invoke the Service
>     Response resp = call.invoke (url, "");
>
>     // Check for Faults
>     if (!resp.generatedFault()) {
>       // Extract Return value
>       Parameter result = resp.getReturnValue ();
>       String greeting = (String) result.getValue();
>       return greeting;
>     }
>     else {
>       //  Extract Fault Code and String
>       Fault f = resp.getFault();
>       String faultCode = f.getFaultCode();
>       String faultString = f.getFaultString();
>       System.err.println("Fault Occurred (details follow):");
>       System.err.println("Fault Code:  "+faultCode);
>       System.err.println("Fault String:  "+faultString);
>       return new String ("Fault Occurred.  No greeting for you!");
>     }
>   }
> }
>
> ===================================================================================================
> ===================================================================================================
>

> On Mar 5, 2010, at 9:11 PM, Martin Gainty wrote:
>
> axis2 document-literal style has progressed far beyond single RPC method with single
parameter roots
> if RPC *is a requirement* you may want to consider fallback to Axis 1.4 for RPC capability
>
> any reason why your requirement would prefer RPC over doc-literal type?
> Martin Gainty
>
> Diese Nachricht ist vertraulich. Sollten Sie nicht der vorgesehene Empfaenger sein, so
bitten wir hoeflich um eine Mitteilung. Jede unbefugte Weiterleitung oder Fertigung einer
entfaltet keine rechtliche Bindungswirkung. Aufgrund der leichten Manipulierbarkeit von E-Mails
koennen wir keine Haftung fuer den Inhalt uebernehmen.
> Ce message est confidentiel et peut être privilégié. Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire
responsabilité pour le contenu fourni.

> From: dejonsen@gmail.com
> Subject: import header migration from Apache SOAP to Axis2
> Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 19:19:03 -0500
> To: java-dev@axis.apache.org
>
> I am new to web services in general, and to Java development (though I have done a lot
of C, C++, and C# development).  I am working through the book, "Web Services Essentials"
by Ethan Cerami, (c) 2002 O'Reilly.  I am trying to compile one of the examples in the text,
but since the book is so old, all of the packages it refers to are long since obsolete.  I
have installed JDK 6u18, Tomcat 6.0-24, Axis2 1.5.1, Xerces 2.9.1, Javamail 1.4.3, and Java
Activation Framework 1.1.1 on my (Vista Ultimate x64) system.  When I attempt to compile the
code, it complains about unresolved external references b/c the package names are obsolete.
 The offending import statements from the code are listed below.  I have resolved the first
3, but am still unable to do so for the last 3.

> import org.apache.soap.SOAPException;   // OK --> javax.xml.soap.SOAPException
> import org.apache.soap.Fault;           // OK --> javax.xml.soap.SOAPFault
> import org.apache.soap.Constants;       // OK --> javax.xml.soap.SOAPConstants
> import org.apache.soap.rpc.Call;        // still unresolved
> import org.apache.soap.rpc.Parameter;   // still unresolved
> import org.apache.soap.rpc.Response;    // still unresolved
>

> Does anyone know what the last 3 package names should be changed to in order to reference
equivalent classes in the Axis2 distribution?

> Also, does anyone know which JARs in the Axis2 distribution need to be on the classpath
in order to compile this example?  Right now I have classpath set to include every JAR in
the "lib" directory of the Axis2 distribution (62 JARs), which I'd really like to cut down
on if I can.