axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Sagara Gunathunga <sagara.gunathu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Making JAX-WS services configurable (with a services.xml or Axis2 specific annotations)
Date Tue, 09 Mar 2010 10:15:33 GMT
On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 10:23 AM, Amila Suriarachchi <
amilasuriarachchi@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 5:39 PM, Andreas Veithen <andreas.veithen@gmail.com
> > wrote:
>
>> I also created a proof-of-concept [1] that shows the feasibility of
>> the services.xml based approach that I suggested in AXIS2-4611. It
>> implements a custom deployer that is based on ServiceDeployer, but
>> replaces the code that builds the initial AxisService object from the
>> WSDL by code that uses
>> org.apache.axis2.jaxws.description.DescriptionFactory. Of course this
>> introduces massive code duplication and is thus only valid as a
>> proof-of-concept.
>
> Apart from this I think when we introduce a new deployer then we need to
> have a different folder to
> deploy files and a different extension.
>

>> To do this properly, it would be necessary to modify
>> ServiceDeployer to create some sort of extension point that allows
>> JAX-WS to supply the initial AxisService description.
>>

> I think your intention here is to let users to deploy JAX-WS services as
> aar files which already
> have the service.xml. IMHO we need to add service.xml support to JAX-WS
> services. ie. jaxws jar files can have an optional service.xml file in the
> META-INF.
>
> AFAIK(please correct me if I wrong :)), at the initial statges Axis2 does
> not have the concept of custom deployers. So at that time (time when JAX-WS
> started) every thing deployed as .aar files. But latter there were problems
> with JAX-WS support in aar files and introduced thin new custom deployer
> concept to address this issue. Therefore adding JAX-WS support to .aar files
> may not be the best approach.

Another important use case is to support JAX-WS based WAR archive deployment
, lot of people want to integrate web services as a part of their web
applications by adding AxisServlet  in the web.xml file , this works fine
for native services.xml based web service deployment but AFAIK we can't use
WAR deployment with JAX-WS , It's going to be a valuable feature if we can
support for this.

> These are the options I can think of adding axis2 specific custermizations
> to JAX-WS.
>
> 1. Support optional services.xml file in META-INF
>          Services.xml file is a too generic file. So people may confuse
> with some options with services.xml file.
> 2. Introduce new optional config file in META-INF (eg axis2-jaxws.xml)
>           May have to duplicate some exising code in ServiceBuilder
> 3. Introduce axis2 specific anotations to JAX-WS
>            May have problems with writting annotations to set the security
> polices.

Personally I like to have a descriptor file such as axis2-jaxws.xml or usual
service.xml rather introducing another set of axis2 specific annotations.
Axis2 already supports to JAX-WS deployment as a JAR file , it would be
great if we can utilize same JAR file with WAR deployment only adding a
descriptor file into the WEB-INF directory.

Thanks,