axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Sosnoski <...@sosnoski.com>
Subject Axis2/Rampart WS-Security performance
Date Sat, 30 Jan 2010 23:12:53 GMT
Following up on some earlier discussions of Axis2/Rampart WS-Security
performance, devWorks has now published my latest article in the Java
Web Services series, comparing Axis2/Rampart with Metro WS-Security
performance: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-jws11/ The
results are very bad for Axis2/Rampart, with Metro more than twice as
fast overall in the WS-Security tests.

As mentioned in the article, some timing tests with
org.apache.rampart.TIME logging seemed to indicate that a lot of the
overhead is actually occurring outside the Rampart handler. I suspect
that Axis2 has fallen into the same performance pit as Axis in doing
conversions to and from different forms of the message.

If anyone is interested in investigating further, the full source code
for the performance comparison is available as a download from the article.

  - Dennis

--
Dennis M. Sosnoski
Java XML and Web Services